Tuesday, March 19, 2013

TNT Preview: Compulsion

This week's TNT is Compulsion, a 1959 flick starring Orson Welles and Dean Stockwell about two law school students who end up on trial for murder in a take on the real-life Leopold-Loeb case, which was about two teens who kill a young boy in an effort to commit "the perfect crime." If you don't know much about the case or haven't seen the movie, this movie poster isn't going to make much sense, but these eyeglasses were actually a very pivotal piece to the outcome of the case and the film.
I didn't know this movie was a re-enactment of sorts on a real life case and that intrigued me, so I went and did my homework on the real case, which is why I now understand the significance of the glasses on the movie poster. If you're interested, check out the Wikipedia or the website created about the case so you can read up too. I read up on the gist of the crime and wow....I don't want to prematurely give anything away but I watch a lot of Investigation Discovery and other crime documentaries and the concept of "the perfect crime" must really carry a lot of appeal for some of these people. On a personal note, I find it amazing how "the perfect crime" carries more appeal than allowing a person to live. Amazing and scary that that's the kind of world we live in, a world in which you may be trying to mind your own business and unwittingly become the perfect prop for the next ID documentary for no reason at all. One of the men in this case, Leopold, actually tried to stop the release of this film, even going so far as to file a lawsuit, citing the movie as defamation, slander, and using the events of his life as an opportunity to make money. I'm kind of intrigued to see how the film interpreted the actual events. Here's the trailer:
Catch it with me this Thursday, March 21st at 8pm EST on TCM!

132--Dish
256--DirecTV
796--AT&T U-verse
Not available on Netflix's Instant Queue but I believe it can be rented through the DVD subscription service
Available to rent from Vudu for $2.99 SD/$3.99 HD/$4.99 HDX *oan=can someone tell me what HDX is?*
Available to rent from Amazon's Instant Video service for $2.99 (rentals are only for 24 hrs, so be sure to watch it when you rent it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment